Inaugural Two Year Spiritual Worker Course–
The Mercurial Ones
begins April 22, 2018
Instructions on how to apply for the course are near the bottom of this page.
This course is now full and has a wait list. Preference is given to prior students of Mary’s. You are welcome to apply to be on the Wait List. Please follow the instructions below to apply.
This is a two year course that will teach the fundamental knowledge that is necessary to become a competent spiritual worker.
This is not a “basics” or beginners’ course; it is an immersive, depth-driven exploration both experiential and intellectual that will allow for the student to gain the knowledge base, confidence, and practice to be a person of knowledge in this field.
It is intended for students who either already have some form of spiritual practice, or whom are beyond the “basics” (requirements for the course below). There are many wonderful courses out there for beginners or individuals at point “A” or “B” on their path. This is not one of them.
It will consist of a small group of students who are ready to become of service to their communities. This may be in a professional capacity, or for friends, family, and neighbors. This is not a course focused on self-help, or self-healing, but on building spiritual skills and capacities. This will, of course, change your life, but the primary focus here is how to become a resource for others.
Spiritual work is most simply defined as the developed skill to navigate and interact with the Other (the spirit world… as well as what lies beyond our physical, materialist senses) to bring back information, healing, and help maintain balance between the worlds.
There is a large amount of healing that is required at this time between us and the Other, and approaching it in a balanced, healthy, life-affirming, and compassionate manner will allow for those of us ready to become touchpoints, or guiding forces, to healing of this rift, both personally and collectively, are very much needed in the modern world.
The modern spiritual worker should have a wide variety of knowledge and skills to meet the modern world. While the course is focused on animism (“shamanism”) it weaves in knowledge of other spiritual paths, magical/occult disciplines, trauma and psychological constructs/care, energy work, and bodywork.
Each year will consist of written as well as video/audio transmissions. There will be a bulletin board/posting section on the website to ask questions, as well as communication via email. While there will be specific topics taught (see years below), there is a sense of flow and purpose… a group soul of sorts… that arises based on the individuals that participate. Some of what is taught will therefore be dependent on group interests and energies.
Four group rituals occur each year. These are done via distance and there will be information on how to connect to the right time/energy for those living in differing time zones. These rituals are both to gain education and experience in the power of group ritual (and its varying parts– anchor, worker, holder of group energies) and will be for healing purposes for a specific community, event, etc. divined by the group.
It will also be required for six weeks to do simple prayers/a candle lighting as a service to friends, family, and/or your community.
Six practice spiritual healing sessions with feedback from other students via email and a minimum of three practice sessions with other students with feedback via Skype/phone are required for entry into year two (a total of twelve sessions)
One session on your teacher via email is required for entry into year two as well. While I do realize that the thought of doing so can be initially anxiety-inducing for some, this will allow for essential feedback and skill-building that will grow confidence and skill.
Multiple checkpoints, tracking, and experiential work will occur throughout the course to gain confidence as well as learn of personal blind spots or needs for focus. This will always be done in a thoughtful, compassionate, way, but the focus in this course will always be on clarity and personal growth– rather than placation or illusion.
Prerequisites/Who the Course is Best For
- Personal stability is required. We all have things to heal and work on but this is a course intended for students beyond enough of their chaos to be of service to others, and who have enough stability to be a resource for others.
- Personal responsibility and ability to question clarity is also required. To be a spiritual worker requires a high level of personal responsibility, and the capacity to question internally your reaction to the world as well as to others who come across your path. People in need of healing are often frightened, lack boundaries, and are immersed in illusion and created chaos. Ideally the spiritual worker would have capacity to question their
- A desire to be of service to your community
- Either prior study with me or long term established study in a shamanic, spiritual, energy work, body work or meditative discipline (at minimum, two years, ideally with a physical teacher).
- Sight/Sensitivity to do this work: There is a big deal made of out of this, but really it is as simple as a chef needing to have a good palate or a carpenter needing to be good with their hands. Natural or attuned ability to connect with the spirit world/the Other
- Curiosity and willingness to work with spirit outside of dominion-based ideologies. An animist perspective is one of spiritual ecology, or humans being a part of things, rather than on top. A further spiritual ecology/animist perspective is that humans have done a lot of damage and that part of being a spiritual worker is being a good citizen and/or rectifying that damage on a spiritual level.
- Capacity to critically think and move beyond “group think”: My objective is not to get you to work like me or think like me, but to understand who you are and your capacities to the depths that you as an individual light can shine in this world.
- Balance. As you will see from the course curriculum, I believe that you need to know the full terrain of what you are working with. This goes way beyond binaries, beyond “dark” and “light”, “LHP” or “RHP” or any other label you wish to perpetuate. The idea that there are practitioners out there whose response to curses or dark energies is that they not only do not need to know about them but can work with them without any type of knowledge is as delusional as a surgeon saying he doesn’t need to know anything about tumors.
Each year will have a sense of flow, but subjects that will be definitely be covered will have a star * by them
- Ethics *
- Psychological and Physical Red Flags *
- Mental vs. Spiritual Healing– Moving beyond the Psychotherapeutic Paradigm *
- Considerations of Appropriation (I realize this word has swung the other way towards ridiculousness, but a conversation of how to establish a practice that is not looking to simply “take” or the modern sense of entitlement and power loss/inappropriate power gain in relationship to other cultures and their spirituality is necessary) *
- Personal Energy Dynamics *
- Manifestation and Intention *
- Taming the Mind/Seeking Clarity
- Astral Projection/Etheric Projection * (there will be a checkpoint and group work for this)
- Divination, Seership, and Gazing Practices *
- Working with the Moon, Tides, and Currents
- Establishing a Primary Guardian
- Establishing Secondary Guardians
- Body Deva– Spiritual and Emotional Healing*
- Candle Practices– setting of Lights *
- Basics of Ritual *
- Spiritual Healing– Ancestral, Past Life, Karmic, Extraction, Aftercare and Follow-Up *
- It is expected that those who do not already have a background in this will play catch-up to learn the basics quickly to move on to more advanced/in-depth considerations
- Power Dynamics
- Working with Objects *
- Group Work *
- Navigating the Other I *
- ”Exit” Interview– an email check-in with me as to how you are doing, any “blind spots” I feel that you may have, and talk about specialization (if you are called to be a more general practitioner or have an area of specialty and guidance towards that specialty)
- Navigating the Other II*
- Advanced Energy Dynamics *
- Trance, Mediumship and Channeling *
- Spirit Release and Depossession *
- Possession States
- Land and House Work *
- Planetary Hours and Flows
- Curses *
- Spiritual Attack and Warfare *
- ”Left Hand Path”– Chthonic, Solomonic, Demonolatry, Tantra, etc (know how to identify/basics of these paths)
- Angelic and Archangel Work *
- Saint and Deity Work
- Dolls/Poppets and Advanced Object Work, Establishing a Spirit Pot *
- Elemental Work
- Working in Multiple Dimensions and with Non-Linear Time
- Social and Enviornmental Work (and the concept of Justice) *
- Psychopomp and Death Practices
- Working with Mercury, Persephone, and Selene
- Spirit Evocation and Invocation *
- Katabasis– Descent into the Underworld/Initiation and Rising
- Exit Interview
If sufficient interest, there will either be a year three, an in-person meetup/workshop, or workshops online just intended for graduates of this curriculum.
How to Apply
I do not accept all students– I only accept students who meet most, if not all, of the pre-req’s, that I personally wish to teach, and that my spirits (via divination) give the “okay” to.
I do realize in this day and age the idea that you cannot simply buy something is difficult for many people to digest. While I have compassion for that, this work isn’t like buying a sweater, and some of this work is simply inappropriate for individuals still immersed in their personal chaos/in need of substantial healing work or who are at the beginning of their path.
You can apply by sending me an email with approximately two paragraphs. Basically let me know why you wish to take the course, if you have taken any prior courses with me, how you see yourself being of service to your community (if you have an idea), and your experience/background.
I will send you an email back after I do divination inviting you to the course if all answers/divination point to “yes”.
Registration will begin officially in January for the course. I will only be accepting a small group of students the course, and will close the course once it is full. As things frequently shift quite substantially for me personally, it is difficult for me to say if I will run this course again, or what it will look like. At this point I intend to run it once more, but I cannot say that with any certainty. As the course will teach you, there are larger flows and forces at work that guide those who are aligned with them.
Feel free to send me questions about the course. You can either apply or send questions to me here.
The course is sliding scale, $1400-$2000 a year (you decide what the right amount is for you). Payment plans will be available. The payment plan will be 3 payments throughout the course of the year. More information will be available upon registration in late December/January (you can apply for the course now, official registration will happen in late December/January). $1650 is a suggested minimum for those who can afford it.
Year Two will be the same rate ($1400-$2000 US).
A few work-study options are available, these are for people who are called to be of service to their communities, truly in need of financial assistance, and ideally would be serving underserved communities in some capacity.
I do realize that this course is an investment, so it is something to think about carefully. I also realize in the modern world there is an unfortunate amount of entitlement– any emails extolling this type of behavior from people are not suitable for a course like this, and will not be replied to (such things, unfortunately, need to be said)
There are a lack of competent spiritual workers in the modern world. My spirits/interactions with the “Other” have repeated to me again and again that if I lament the anti-intellectualism, materialism/entitlement, woundedness/lack of healing/imbalanced workers out there, the diminishment of spiritual work to coaching, mental/emotional work/psychotherapeutic constructs, the focus on self-help, and the perpetuated illusory surface-level knowledge and education out there that I should do something about it. This course is my offering, and I am happy to help those ready to become competent, confident spiritual workers to do so.