One of the most common reasons why people who have actual psychic abilities and sensitivities find me is because they are able to sense, see, feel, hear, or use whatever their dominant psychic ability is to see death, disease, and/or destruction of some sort. This understandably freaks people out, especially when they are unskilled (meaning they have abilities but have not found an appropriate teacher and/or do not know how to set boundaries with their abilities or know how to use them properly and safely).
The other reason this concerns people is that we live in a spiritual “community” of lightworkers– meaning that most of the courses, books, and information out there… as well as what people are willing to talk about in most spiritual communities (even in many hardcore occult communities surprisingly these days)… is only fashioned on the light, or light work. Information on how to work with abilities surrounding “darkness” are met with disdain by others, or people who are “lightworkers” give really bad advice about transmuting darkness to light of some sort or will lecture you about how your abilities are evil, amoral, or not what you should be focusing on. This surprisingly happens with even discussions on what is considered “dark” work, such as working with the Earth, death, spirits, ghosts, curses, disease, working with primal emotions, sexual spirituality, herbs/rootwork and basically any sort of work that does not adhere to a rigid puritanical neo-spiritual cosmology.
And while I say the above and it seems like I have disdain for lightworkers, it simply is not true. I personally have capabilities and am rather dark in my nature (as well as am very light in my nature- when you are willing to work with and see your darkness in a balanced manner your light grows, and vice versa), and it took me a long time to find some of the information I am going to write here. It took me even longer to realize that there really is no “color” to anything- at a certain level everything is light, Brahman, Tao, Godhead (whatever you wish to call it). But I digress…
Seeing darkness, death, and disease can be extraordinarily helpful. I have trained to the extent that I can look at someone in my clinic and see what areas need work, what organs possibly carry disease, and what emotions are being held. I can see if issues/imbalances are being held in the emotional, physical, or spiritual levels of the body… and if they are from this life, past lives, ancestral sources, etc. I had a natural, innate ability to do this but before I became skilled I would just hazy smoke around people or shapes inside of people, a lack of flow in or around the body, or just had a sense of knowing without anything to back it up. Before I became skilled I could sense that someone was carrying something that was not theirs, but now I can see what it is and communicate with it (with boundaries). In clinic, in my spiritual practice, these skills can be very helpful.
But in my regular life they are not. You do not want to know what diseases your friends have, what sort of odd activities your teacher is up to (BDSM with an Asian fetish in one case), that the person in the grocery store line just lost their child and is in immense grief, or that a family member has something rather nasty attached to them that isn’t theirs. When you are unskilled, this information is overwhelming and the amount of stimuli that comes at you with abilities like these can be emotionally, spiritually, and physically harmful in a way that is difficult to describe. When you see disease and darkness everywhere you turn it is obviously extraordinarily difficult.
This scenario gets even more complicated when the matter of Death comes through. There are many psychics and sensitives that are able (through one or more psychic abilities) to see Death, or the psychopomp beings (basically Grim Reapers if we are being simple here), to see death in people, to know when and how they are going to die. This is typically a strong psychic ability… This gets a bit complicated because there is not one term for it beyond “Deathworker” “Darkworker” or “Darklighter”… which conjures up all sorts of images of evil and whatever society thinks of anything or anyone that is not a “lightworker”.
What I am saying, simply, is that a Darkworker is typically a highly psychic individual… and that can be through Clairvoyance (seeing), Clairaudience (hearing), Dreaming states, Precognitive states, Channeling, Mediumship, and/or someone with Psychopomp capabilities (for a little bit about Mediumship and Psychopomp abilities click here)… who can see and work with death, disease, destruction, primal emotions, and the Earth. We are needed, and in vastly short supply because many of us are not skilled, are overwhelmed, or feel this ability is “evil” because it is not “light”.
The truth is that this is light, it is just not the light that is popularized and considered okay by neo-spiritual groups. Some of you with this ability may see that someone is going to die by the certain amount of light around them or how their energy field looks, some of you may sense the psychopomp beings around the person, some may have dreams or precognitive abilities where you know before someone is going to die (or right when they are going to die), some may hear that a specific person is going to, or some of you may have guides that tell you. There are specific ways that the ability to see Death comes through, even in the most unskilled of individuals, depending on your dominant sense. In most people, until they are skilled (and even then) it is through claircognizance – or simply knowing information about death, disease, and destruction (like of bombings, wars, terrorist attacks, etc) without knowing how or why you are getting the information.
While Claircognizance is a wonderful and can be quite a strong psychic capability, when you are in an unskilled state with it the amount of information coming at you and the type of information coming at you, such as knowing time of death or who is going to pass when you are in a grocery store (or maybe even how) can be quite disconcerting.
So what to do about this ability?
- The first thing to do is accept that on some level that you have it. This may be a long road, especially in a culture that is so obsessed with the “light”.
- Figure out how you are getting your information- basically through what senses. Are you hearing, seeing, sensing, physically feeling in your body, or just knowing the information? Are you having dreams about it? Are you seeing information from the past, present, or future? You may not be able to answer all these questions, just do the best you can.
- Get a sort of catalogue, or sense of what type of information you are getting. Is it time of death? A disease? Attachments or beings? Matter of death? Information about world events/destruction of some sort?
- How does this information affect you when you receive it? Do you get a headache, do you react emotionally? Do you disassociate (leave your body)? Do you take on the disease, energy of death, or darkness into your own body?
- This information may take you a while to gather, but most importantly know that you need to move from being unskilled to skilled with this ability. This is unfortunately not an ability that you can learn fully about from books (or even through this post). Because it is fairly individualized, you need a teacher or training of some sort to work with it. This teacher will tell you how you are receiving your information, what psychic abilities you have, what the effects are on you (the questions above, basically), and most importantly how to work with it.
- There is typically a reason for you having this ability. For some it may be to become a medical intuitive, for others a hands-on healer, for some a spiritual healer who works with darkness, hospice work such as nursing or volunteering, or psychopomp work (moving souls on). It may be that it is part of your own healing and spiritual path, and you are intended to work spiritually with darkness, the dark void, the psychopomp beings, even Death itself.
Learning how and why as well as how to maintain boundaries and safety is essential if you have natural capabilities with this work. When you are naturally psychic you will have all sorts of events, happenings, and energies around you that may be very good, or may put your physical health and energetic/spiritual safety in jeopardy. That is not intended to frighten, it just is what it is. If you are reading this and already have these capabilities, it is likely that this is already occurring- and that you have disrupted sleep, fatigue and pains in your body, digestive issues, headaches, emotional lability, and sometimes freak out a bit in the grocery store (sometimes without knowing why). This doesn’t need to happen. With skills you can learn how to work with the information so it doesn’t have an impact. You can be initiated into specific understandings with specific energies, learn spiritual protection, and even (to a certain extent, admittedly) turn off (and to a much greater extent) simply notice the information being given to you without processing it or letting it flow through you without registering and having to deal with it.